People of Australia spend a staggering 700 million hours volunteering each year. There are real benefits of volunteering from improving our health and happiness to promoting a sense of belonging and making friends. Here are some surprising reasons why you should consider volunteering.
- Discover a new passion or find a new one: volunteering is a fantastic way to give back to your community and make a difference in the lives of individuals in need. It is also an excellent opportunity for personal growth and development, whether you are looking to build your skills, make new friends, or simply contribute to a cause you believe in.
- Social skills: Majority of volunteer positions involve working with others in some capacity, allowing you to develop and practice social skills and expand your network. Momentum Collective has numerous programs and services for individuals looking to work in more social environments such as our second-hand op shops or our disability day centres.
- Skill building: If you have experience in a specific field or are looking to learn new skills, volunteering can provide you with opportunities to highlight your talents. For example, if you are a retired mechanic or have skills in re-purposing items, working at one of our op shops is an excellent way to keep learning and honing your skills.
- Wellbeing: Volunteer work can improve self-esteem, increase health and wellbeing, and reduce stress, loneliness, and depression. By interacting positively with others, volunteers can provide informal emotional support that aids in building confidence and making participants living with a disability or mental health feel comfortable and at ease. We also have a community garden in Casino that offers opportunities to develop gardening and permaculture skills! Spending time out in the garden has many positive impacts on your wellbeing as well.
- Show your commitment: Volunteering can count towards your mutual obligations for government payments, such as Centrelink. If you are looking to demonstrate your commitment to developing workplace skills or fulfill your obligations, volunteering at Momentum Collective is an excellent way to do so.
At Momentum Collective, we offer a wide range of volunteer opportunities across our disability, mental health, and community program services. From program support and recreation to administration and office assistance, whatever field you are interested in, there are plenty of opportunities to gain hands-on experience. By supporting us in delivering our programs and services, they play an essential role in improving the lives of those in need.
If you want to volunteer in a meaningful environment and make a difference in your community, contact us on 1300 900 091 or email volunte[email protected]. We would be delighted to hear from you!